When Selling A Home
When Selling A Home
When selling your home there are no guarantees that a buyer will simply walk through the front door. In many cases you may have to bring your home to the buyer. Effective marketing will help ensure that your property receives maximum exposure to attract a ready, willing and able buyer. The appearance of your home, a buyer’s first impressions, and other considerations can also affect the sale of your home. Be sure to explore tips for increasing your home’s value. Have you considered that home prices in your neighborhood and the value of your property are also factors used for pricing your home?
Increasing the Value of Your House
While preparing your house for sale, remember the importance of first impressions. The market isn’t the only factor that influences whether you get your asking price. Appearance and overall condition play a major role. Here are some easy things you can do to make your home more appealing to buyers. It is estimated that more than half the houses are sold before the buyers even get out of their cars. So stand across the street from your house and review its curb appeal.
- Sweep front walkway.
- Remove newspapers, bikes and toys.
- Park extra cars away from the property.
- Trim back the shrubs.
- Apply fresh, clean paint throughout.
- Clean windows and window coverings throughout.
- Keep pet areas clean.
- Keep plumbing and all appliances in working order.
- Maintain all sealant (window, tub, shower, sink, etc.) in good condition.
- Make sure roof and gutters are in good condition.
- Mow the lawn more frequently and plant flowers.
- Make the kitchen and bathroom shine.
- Do a quick once-over with the vacuum and clean the carpets if necessary.
- Place fresh flowers in the main rooms.
- Put dishes away, unless setting a formal display for decoration.
- Make beds and put all clothes away.
- Enhance the spaciousness of each room.
- Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter feel.
- Straighten closets.
- Put toys away.
- Turn off the television.
- Play soft music on the radio/stereo.
- Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean and odor-free.
Potential buyers usually feel more comfortable if the owners are not present.
If people unaccompanied by an agent request to see your property, please refer them to your real estate professional for an appointment.
Leave a number where you can be reached if you are leaving town, even for a weekend.